top of page
Image by Online Marketing



In order to obtain a nursing license in the state, a transitioning service member (TSM) would need to successfully complete a nursing program through an accredited institution, pass the national exam, and then apply for licensure with the state board. The Kentucky Community and Technical College System (KCTCS) is offering transitioning service members who were enlisted as MOS 68W (Army Combat Medics) 5 credits towards an Associate’s degree in nursing based on experience they earned during their time in the service.

Step 1

Applying to College

1. Attend KCTCS’s pre-admission nursing conference

2. Submit an application for general admission to the school


If you plan on using Federal Tuition Assistance (FTA), first visit the GoArmyEd website


If you do not intend to use FTA, apply for admissions online HERE

Military applicants may also need to provide

High school transcript(s) 

College transcript(s) (if applicable)

ACT or SAT test scores 

3. Submit an application for admission to the school’s nursing program

Proof of Nurse Aid via transcript, or KBN certified list 

Results of the NLN pre-admission (PAX) RN Exam Scores

IMPORTANT: In order to receive the 5 credits towards their nursing degree, transitioning service members should also contact the school’s Nursing Program Director.

Step 2

State Board Requirements

1. Submit a license application and fee of $125 

2. Submit a copy of a Kentucky state background check 

3. Submit a copy of a federal background check 

4. Complete the Kentucky Jurisprudence Exam

(must be completed within one year of application)  

5. Pass the NCLEX National Council Licensure Examination  

(additional fees may apply

Kentucky Board of Nursing

312 Whittington Parkway, Suite 300, Louisville, KY 40222

502-429-3300 |

kentucky BON banner.png

For your convenience, you can access the steps below via a PDF

Image by National Cancer Institute
bottom of page